Saturday, March 13, 2010

Call of the Wild

Jack London's Call Of The Wild surprised me with the fact that it was actually good. I usually do not enjoy assigned books.

Buck is the main character of the book. This book follows his journey from a pampered pup to a wolf. He gets kidnapped and is sold. He then becomes a sled dog. He is worked hard and beaten, but it only makes him stronger. He always feel that he is getting a urging call to the wild and then he turns in a wild creature.

The story takes place during the gold rush in a region in the northwestern Canada's Yukon Territory. Basically when I see the word Canada I think of snow, and in this book there was plenty of snow. I pictured those poor dogs running with all their might, and being deep in the snow.

In this story Buck to a lot of stands. One stand he took was against his master, when he refused to cross the river, because he knew the ice was too thin, but his master insisted they crossed. He was beaten a countless amount of times, but he stood his ground. He also took a stand against Spitz, the lead dog, when they had got into a little spat. Buck fought Spitz to the death, just to show that he was stronger.

This book does not really need a recommendation, because you'll probably have to read it in your English class. If you're lucky and you are not assigned class reads, then go ahead and read Call Of The Wild. I enjoyed the book a lot. I feel kind of lame for liking it, but I did.

2 comments:

  1. Nice book review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the book too. It's one of the best, if not the best, that we've had to read this year.

    ReplyDelete