Thursday, December 17, 2009

What's In A Name

Noluthando Wendy Miya is the name my parents bestowed upon me the day I was born. My parents said they named me Noluthando, which means God is love in the Zulu language, because God loved them so much that he blessed them with a child. My mother said she named me Wendy after a South African R&B singer, Wendy Mseleku.

The name Wendy means light-skinned, blessed, and Friend. It is said the the name was created by J.M. Barrie , the author of Peter Pan. The name Wendy serves as the word friend, and is inspired by childish lisps. The name Wendy describes me very well, because I have a lot of the traits associated with the name. For example, people with the name Wendy are self-sufficient, have a lot of confidence, and have boundless energy. However, obstacles and frustration make them feel impatient and intolerant. That describes me, because I am very independent and I like doing things for myself. I also get very impatient when situations do not go my way.

There isn't a lot of history behind the name Noluthando. The name is African, specifically from the Zulu tribe.


Even though my name actually fits my personality, I don't think that the name makes a person, I think the person makes the name.

No comments:

Post a Comment